Upon its opening in 1898, Zeche Zollern was the pride of the mining company Gelsenkirchener Bergwerk AG. Elaborate brick façades combined with opulent parapets and corner towers framing the green entrance courtyard are more reminis cent of an aristocratic palace than a mining pit. The architecture represents the transition from historicism to Jugendstil, which can be seen in the marble control panels and the impressive entrance to the machine hall. This ›castle of labor‹ in the western part of Dortmund is undoubtedly one of the most beau tiful and unusual testimonies to Germany’s industrial past. The ensemble of buildings was already declared a historical site in 1969, just three years after closing, and today houses the Westfälisches Industriemuseum of the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe. It was the first industrial landmark in Germany.