© Christian Huhn


The Liebfrauenkirche was built in the historic centre of Duisburg in 1895/1896. The reason for this was the rapidly growing number of Catholic citizens in the course of industrialisation. Instead of building a new church, the existing Minorite Church in neo-Gothic style was extended with a large nave and tower, which dominated the cityscape from 1896 onwards.

After the Liebfrauenkirche was largely destroyed in the Second World War, the decision was made between 1953 and 1955 to build a church for the congregation in the »water district«. After the city had granted the congregation the plot of land on Friedrich-Albert-Lange-Platz next to the district court, construction began on König-Heinrich-Platz according to plans by the architect Dr Toni Hermanns from Kleve.

In the course of negotiations about the church and its use in the early 2000s, a wide variety of models were discussed. The protection of monuments, the final declaration of the church as a protected building on 31 May 2005, helped the »Round Table« convened two years earlier to steer the debate towards incorporation into a new foundation to be established. On 12 September 2013, the church, which had been rededicated as a cultural church, was reopened.


Events at this venue