The impressive machine shop or Maschinenhalle of the former coalmine Zweckel in Gladbeck was built in 1909. It served as the coalmine’s ‘electrical centre’ and contained compressors, generators, and converters to produce compressed air and electrical energy. The high esteem in which the machinery was held is reflected by the representative decoration of the interior. The walls were originally covered with decorative panels and ornamental friezes, and the design of the gallery is especially impressive, flanked by sweeping stairways and with wrought-iron balustrades.
(c) Jörg Brüggemann / Ostkreuz